Mother Cabrini’s first visit to New Orleans occurred in 1892. Returning from a trip to Nicaragua, Mother stopped in New Orleans on April 12. Archbishop F. Janssens asked Mother to stay for Holy Week and to acquaint herself with the city and the needs of its people. Mother immediately got to work and set out to take care of the children of New Orleans. In September 1892, an orphanage was opened and in 1894, a short two years later, a school was started with eighty five children attending. In 1905 Mother Cabrini acquired ground at 2400 Esplanade Avenure for the New Sacred Heart Orphanage. As the need for the orphanage diminished, the need for a girls Catholic high school grew. In 1959 the orphanage was turned into Cabrini High School.
Submitted by: A. Schwelm, Assistant Library Director